Louise is a new friend of mine. She loves to read and travel, so we pretty much “get” each other. The other day, Louise shared a comment on my blog – actually, it was a list. She wasn’t giving me a to-do list; she was sharing hers.
Here’s what Louise said…
This will keep me busy for the rest of my life:
• Live what you preach – even at home
• Avoid religiosity – don’t be pompous
• Don’t judge other people’s mistakes – be kind and wise
• Don’t engage in financial gouging
• Don’t be miserly with money – give generously
• Don’t hurt children
• Don’t have a double standard for women
• Take special care of orphans and widows
• Be good to those who are poor
• Be willing to weep over the needs – spiritual and temporal – of your city
• Talk to God often – maybe not out loud on the bus
• Be ready for the unexpected, especially miracles
I love her list and told her I was going to steal it.
I’m curious, what additional things would be on your list?
Here’s what I would add to my own “this will keep me busy for the rest of my life” list:
• Look people in the eye and smile – be friendly
• Ask good questions – listen more than having something to say
• Don’t worry about judging the behavior of others – just pray about what you don’t like or understand