The church is a cold, dark, cruel place without grace. Yuck!
- the church quickly becomes a place where “insiders” climb the religious ladder of success. From their elevated position, insiders look down on “outsiders” and cast judgement.
- the church points out all the reasons why others don’t measure up.
- the church withdraws from the culture in order to keep itself from being tainted by outsiders… it builds walls to keep the insiders in and the outsiders out.
- the church identifies outsiders as it’s enemies.
- the church is nit-picky, mean and hurtful.
- the church is mad at the world.
However, grace changes everything… grace changes the church!
Jesus said, “I’m after mercy, not religion – I’m here to invite outsiders not coddle insiders.” -Matthew 9.13 MSG.
- the church comes down to where the people are at.
- the church becomes a place of hope, compassion and love.
- the church steps into the culture with Good News.
- the church tears down walls that keep people out.
- the church is kind, understanding and gracious.
- the church is mad at no one and loves everyone.
“As God’s grace reaches more and more people, there will be great thanksgiving, and God will receive more and more glory.” -2 Corinthians 4.15